BRAND HISTORY

2017-Current
Reviving the “Phillips”
  • 2018

    • Signed LOI with Philippines Trade and Industry during President Duterte’sKorea visit luncheon (5 Jun, 2018)
    • Began R&D and production of electric jeepney for Philippines (July, 2018)
    • Signed MOU with Autohub Group of Companies, Philippines (Aug, 2018)
    • Began building Korea manufacturing plant in Gumi, South Korea (Sep, 2018)
    • Began Europe E-Bike business operation (Sep, 2018)
  • 2017

    • Acquiring of the Phillips brand license by Mr. S. H. Bang of South Korea
1960-2000
Subsumed by Raleigh, and Stopped Operation
  • 1991

    • Whilst the area ‘Credenda Woks’ was still identified on the map, the Birmingham plantbecame inactive
  • 1971

    • The firm was still operating at the Birmingham plant at Credenda Works, Smethwick
  • 1961

    • The new Phillips Panda Mk3 became listed (September 1961)
  • 1960

    • Phillips was acquired by Raleigh Industries (April 19, 1960)
    • Despite being absorbed into Raleigh, Phillips still ran as ‘Phillips Cycles, Credenda Works,Smethwick, Birmingham’
    • Phillips had announced their new ‘Panda Plus’ (March 1960)
1930 – 1959
The Successful Era of Bicycle Production
  • 1959

    • Production of the Panda Mk1 moped, a three-speed Gadabout and another with a 50cc Villiers engine
  • 1958

    • Tube Investments took over Sun Cycle and Fittings Co Phillips Enters Chinese market
  • 1957

    • The Gadabout wins first place in the moped class of the Rossendale Motor Club Enduro(October, 1957)
  • 1956

    • British Cycle Corporation subsidiary was formed to take over and control Tube Investmentsin Birmingham area
    • The Gadabout moped appeared, (with a 49cc Rex engine, two speeds, spine frame and telescopic forks)
  • 1954

    • Phillips Cycles Ltd entered the powered market, with a complete machine derived from a bicycle
    • Production of Phillips Cycles’ Juvenile Bicycles and Tricycles
    • Phillips took up a licence to market Rex products in the UK
    • Introduction of the Phillips P36X Motorised Cycle (October 1954)
  • 1953

    • Production of Phillips Tricycles – P32 The Red Knight, and P25 The Deluxe Magic Steed(December, 1953)
    • Launched a range of 40 machines including touring and sports models, children’s bicycles and tricycles,trades-men’s bikes, and heavy duty machines
  • 1952

    • Operating company was registered as Phillips Cycles Ltd
  • 1945

    • Phillips returns to cycle trading after WWII
  • 1940

    • Production of complete bicycles under the own Phillips Brand, (“Home market cycle frame kits”)
    • During WWII, Phillips switched to munitions work, producing vast quantities of shells, armourpiercing tips, grenades, land mines and aircraft parts
  • 1930

    • Partnership between John Alfred Phillips and Ernest William Bohle in making brakes and pedals for bicycles
1869 – 1920
Formation of Phillips
  • 1920

    • Tube Investment AGM acquired Phillips (Dec 9, 1920)
  • 1919

    • Phillips and four other companies formed a liberal association, Tube Investments
    • *Original members of Tube Investments were Armstrong Cycles, Brampton Fittings, Hercules Cycle andMotor Co, Phillips Cycles, and Walton and Brown
  • 1911

    • E. W. Bohle established the bicycle and bicycle parts maker company, Phillips
    • J. A. Phillips gave his name, “Phillips”, to the company although he left the partnership in 1910
  • 1908

    • J. A. Phillips acquired facility area at Credenda Works and gave up the Birmingham premises
    • Firm was named: J. A. Phillips and Co of Credenda Works, Smethwick, Birmingham (1913)
  • 1892

    • Production of bicycle pedals at Newhall Street, Birmingham
    • Firm operated under the name: J. A. Phillips and Co. of Bath Road, Birmingham (1904)
  • 1869

    • Partnership between John Alfred Phillips and Ernest William Bohle in making brakes and pedals for bicycles